Police lift security cordon in Islamabad a day after PTI calls off long march.

ISLAMABAD -- The capital police have decided to lift the security cordon in Islamabad after Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf chairman Imran Khan called off the long march in the wake of attempt on his life, Dawn has learnt.

PRO of the capital police told Dawn that orders had been issued for removal of all the containers from the roads of Islamabad besides directives to send back the visiting Sindh police to their native province.

'Now there is no need of force from Sindh in the capital,' he said, adding that the paramilitary troops were assisting the capital police.

'Imran Khan has called off the long march and as such there is no need to retain the containers and the force from other areas in the capital,' he said.

Talking to Dawn, a senior police officer put the money spent on security-related arrangements in connection with the long march at over Rs410 million. He said that the grant released by the Finance Ministry had been exhausted a week ago while bearing the expenses of containers, vehicles, meals, visiting force and anti-riot gears.

Official says orders issued for removal of containers from roads

The capital police have asked the government to release more funds, he said, adding that reply in this regard was still awaited.

When asked in this regard, the police PRO showed ignorance about the matter and said he could comment on this after getting details of funds from the concerned officers.

Officers of the capital police said that a total of 15,235 personnel and officers, including 4,343 from capital police, 4,788 from FC, 4,525 from Rangers and 1,599 from Sindh police, took part in the security duties and maintaining law and order situation in Islamabad during the last couple of weeks. Besides, 720 containers of different sizes, 50,050 teargas shells, 37,300 rubber bullets, 335 vehicles, 11,000 pepper balls and 10,500 spray paints were also acquired to deal with the long march, they added.

The withdrawal of the forces and removal of the containers was decided in a meeting held on Saturday at the Central Police Office though a protest of PTI was scheduled at Faizabad later in the evening, they said.

The PTI workers gathered at Faizabad after the sunset and the police stopped them from entering the capital. The police also resorted to teargas shelling to disperse them.

They also picked up over a dozen protesters and shifted them to police installations, the officers added.

The officers said that shortly after the law and order was restored...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT