High court extends Imran's protective bail until Monday.

ISLAMABAD -- The Lahore High Court on Friday extended PTI ChaiArman Imran Khan's protective bail until March 27 (Monday) in five cases registered against him in Islamabad, including two on the charges of vandalism at the Federal Judicial Complex and the high court.

The former premier was granted protective bail in these five cases on March 17, along with four other cases.

On Friday, the PTI chief - along with his legal team and a few party leaders - appeared before a two-judge bench comprising Justice Tariq Saleem Sheikh and Justice Anwaar Hussain.

As the hearing began, Justice Sheikh asked Mr Khan's counsel, Barrister Salman Safdar, to cite any legal precedent when someone's protective bail was extended. The judge observed that apparently there was no law that allowed such an extension.

The registrar's office also objected to the petition, saying the petitioner (Mr Khan) had already been granted protective bail in the cases.

Islamabad's lower court makes ex-PM's arrest warrants bailable in judge threatening case

However, Barrister Safdar argued that Mr Khan had requested an extension as he was facing an 'extraordinary situation'.

He said Mr Khan had gone to the IslamAabad court for pre-arrest bail but could not enter the premises due to the uncertain situation outside the court's premises.

He argued that the PTI chief did not misuse the concession of the protective bail, and he couldn't appear before the Islamabad court due to the situation outside the federal judicial complex.

When Justice Sheikh told the counsel that Mr Khan should have approached the Islamabad High Court on the matter, the counsel said the option to approach the high court was being considered but the forAmer prime minister had threats to his life.

The counsel said Mr Khan's conduct was before the court, but new cases were being registered against him. He said petitions for the pre-arrest bail had already been filed with the antiterrorism court of Islamabad.

The PTI chairman also came to the rostrum to address the court. He said his vehicle took too much time to reach the judicial complex from the Islamabad motorway toll plaza due to the deployment of a heavy police contingent.

He alleged that police hurled stones and fired teargas at his vehicle 'as if I was a terrorist'.

Justice Sheikh directed...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT