Those involved in ransacking in Sindh will not be spared, warns IGP.

KARACHI -- Following the protest call of Pakistan Tehreek: e: Insaf (PTI), at least 350 miscreants have been arrested in Karachi.

In a press conference, the Inspector General (IG) of Sindh, Ghulam Nabi Memon, has issued a stern warning to the violent protestors that strict action will be taken against anyone found guilty of spreading violence and creating chaos in the metropolis. 'Those who are involved in disturbing the peace and security of Karachi will not be spared,' Memon said. 'We have already registered 20 cases and taken around 350 individuals into custody. With the help of CCTV footage, we will identify those who are guilty and release innocent people.'

The IG further said that many people have not been arrested after identification, but the authorities are working tirelessly to arrest the perpetrators.

He said that the recent strike called by the PTI after the former prime minister Imran Khan arrest in Islamabad, the entire city remained open and operated as usual. Meanwhile, amid a large number of arrests of workers of the opposition Pakistan Tehreek: i: Insaf during and after clashes with police at different places in the city, raids on party leaders' houses and closedown of government transportation services and internet, an uneasy calm prevailed in most parts of Karachi. Intermittent clashes between police and PTI workers and supporters were witnessed at a couple of points after a call for protest against the arrest of PTI chairman Imran Khan was given by the party leadership.

Transport remained thin on city roads amid closure of several private educational institutions due to 'precautionary measures'. The sense of anxiety and confusion that prevailed on Tuesday got further deepened on Wednesday as the suspension of internet services, ban on social media platforms and interruption in cellular services continued to fuel speculations and spread disinformation about the overall prevailing situation in the country.

In a violent incident on Abul Hasan Isphahani Road on Thursday evening, a police mobile was torched during a protest. Gulshan SP Zafar Siddique Chaanga told Dawn that a DSP Legal was travelling in the mobile van when miscreants intercepted it and set it on fire while the police officer remained unhurt. He said police rushed to the spot and arrested 'some suspects'. In a late: night development, the PTI in a statement said they were staging only peaceful protests but some 'miscreants' had penetrated into their...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT