A Sindh village.


EARLIER this week in Tharparkar four men died of noxious fumes while digging a well. The saddest part of this tragedy was that the victims had families to support and were trying to find a source of water, which is the most basic ingredient for life.

It is unfortunate that the people of Sindh are still deprived of the most basic needs in the 21st century. The village in which I reside has only one primary school which has three rooms. The roof of the building and the outer wall of one room are in a deplorable state.

Repeated reminders to the district school authorities to carry out repairs have been ignored. Of late the condition of the school has worsened and villagers fear sending their children. There are almost 200 students in this school.


To continue reading