Sindh seeks SC nod to halt drive against encroachments along Indus dykes.

 
FREE EXCERPT

KARACHI -- The Sindh cabinet has decided to request the Supreme Court to allow the provincial government to make alternative arrangements before demolishing human settlements along the dykes of the canals of the Indus.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah, who presided over the cabinet meeting on Tuesday, directed the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) to provide tents and blankets to the people displaced so far and also directed the district administration to take care of the people living under the open sky.

The CM also took the cabinet on board about the decisions taken at Monday's meeting of the Council of Common Interests (CCI) in Islamabad.

On the complaints of ministers about lack of cleanliness in Sindh's cities and towns, Mr Shah directed the local government minister to ensure that the municipal organisations undertake cleanliness work.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

The cabinet is told that around 40,000 families have been displaced in the ongoing operation

Several cabinet members also spoke against what they called high-handedness of the police, extrajudicial killings, etc.

The CM decided that since the inspector general of police was not present in the meeting, the grievances against police would be communicated to him in writing. He said the IGP was on medical leave.

40,000 families displaced in anti-encroachment drive

The decision to request the apex court for time was raised when Local Government Minister Syed Nasir Shah told the cabinet that around 40,000 families had been displaced in the ongoing anti-encroachment drive along the dykes of River Indus and its canals in Sukkur.

Agriculture Minister Ismail Rahu said that more than 10,000 families of scheduled caste living along the embankments of the canals of Badin district had been displaced and now they were living in the open.

The same issue was raised by CM's senior Adviser Nisar Khuhro and other ministers.

The chief minister directed Law Adviser Murtaza Wahab to make a request to the Supreme Court to give reasonable time to the provincial government for making alternative arrangements for the people being displaced during the ongoing anti-encroachment drive.

He constituted a four-member committee to find government lands where these people could be settled.

The LG minister said that the chief minister had already approved 200 acres for Sukkur but more land was required in Larkana, Ghotki and other districts.

Urban valuation table

The Board of Revenue (BoR) told...

To continue reading

REQUEST YOUR TRIAL