PM Imran wants public perception of police changed.

LAHORE -- Prime Minister Imran Khan Monday chaired a meeting on police reforms at the chief minister's secretariat and directed introducing radical changes in police department to change its perception and to improve the system of prosecution as well as investigation.

Punjab police Chief Arif Nawaz briefed the prime minister about the reforms being introduced in police department. Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar, Special Adviser to PM on Information, Dr Firdous Aashiq Awan, PM's political Assistant Naeemul Haq and Punjab Minister for Law Mohammad Basharat Raja were also attended the meeting among others.

The PM was told that 80 per cent of complaints against police were related to petty issues while 20 per cent pertained to crime and theft. He was also briefed that 80 per cent of the public complaints would be addressed at Khidmat Marakiz and the remaining 20 per cent would be shifted to the police stations. This would lessen the burden on police stations, the prime minister was told.

Chief Minister Punjab Sardar Usman Buzdar, Prime Minister's Special Advisor on Information Dr Firdous Aashiq Awan and Punjab IGP later briefed the media about the meeting chaired by the prime minister. Punjab Minister for Law Mohammad Basharat Raja and Punjab Minister for Industries and Information Mian Aslam Iqbal were also present.

80pc of complaints against police are about petty issues

Usman Buzdar said that practical steps have been undertaken in order to change police culture according to the vision of Prime Minister Imran Khan.

He said rules were being amended so as to make police public-friendly. 'While it is entirely difficult task to change the 70 years old system altogether, but the PTI government was taking distinctive steps with the help of modern technology in order to bring changes in Thana culture', he told reporters, adding that facilities were also being provided to the general public at the service centers. He said Police allowances had been restored.

The CM stated that Punjab government was also bringing improvement in law and order situation with the help of safe city and information technology project. 'With the help of cameras, barracks and investigation process is being monitored in police stations. We will provide necessary resources to the police and will bring changes in their culture and attitude', he observed. He said government was also changing the jail manual. This would benefit seriously ill persons besides 300...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT