No ceasefire plans in Afghanistan: Taliban.

 
FREE EXCERPT

KABUL -- The Taliban on Monday said they have no ceasefire plans in Afghanistan after rumours swirled of a potential deal that would see a reduction in fighting after more than 18 years of war. The statement from the insurgents comes as local and international forces brace for another bloody winter amid renewed US-Taliban talks after President Donald Trump called off the negotiations earlier this year over insurgent attacks. 'In the past few days, some media have been releasing untrue reports about a ceasefire...

The fact is that the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan has no ceasefire plans,' the Taliban said. The US and the Afghan government in Kabul have long called for a ceasefire with the Taliban, including during the year of negotiations between Washington and the Taliban that were abruptly called off by Trump in September. However, the militants have repeatedly stated that any potential truce will only be ironed out after American troops withdraw from the country. The US-Taliban talks, held mainly in Doha, were aimed at allowing Washington to begin withdrawing troops in return for various security guarantees. They were on the brink of a deal when Trump abandoned the effort in September, citing Taliban violence. Negotiations have since restarted in Doha, but were earlier this month put on a 'pause'. Trump is looking to slash the troop presence in Afghanistan, potentially even before a deal between...

To continue reading

REQUEST YOUR TRIAL