Distance-based tickets for Orange Line train passengers approved.

LAHORE -- The government has approved a proposal by the Punjab Masstransit Authority (PMA) to implement a distance-based fare instead of the flat fare of the Lahore Orange Line Metro Train, which runs on a 27-kilometre route from Dera Gujaran (Quaid-i-Azam interchange) to Ali Town (Raiwind Road) via Shalamar (GT Road), station, Lakshmi Chowk, Anarkali, Chauburji and Multan Road.

The increased fares will go into effect before Nov 20, Dawn has learned.

'The PMA's proposed distance-based rates were initially accepted by the Punjab transport and finance departments.' Finally, the Punjab cabinet authorised them a few days ago, allowing the PMA to move forward with implementation,' an official source told Dawn on Monday.

According to the cabinet-approved proposal, the minimum and maximum tickets for the Orange Line will be Rs20 and Rs40 per passenger. The minimum fare will be charged on a stop-to-stop basis (one station to the next) or one stop to the next stop after a few stations. The rates would gradually climb to Rs25, 30, 35, and 40 as the distance increases.

According to the official, the Chinese firm in charge of the Orange Line's operation and maintenance has also begun work to feed the new fares into the automatic computerised system.

'In addition, an awareness campaign will be started soon to keep the general public informed of the new fares,' the source stated.

He said in the light of various surveys, the PMA has come to know that 88 per cent of passengers travel within a 16km distance of the total 27km-long route. The remaining 12 per cent used to travel from originating station to the last station, or the station situated over at 16km distance.

He said if the distance-based system succeeds, it will be replicated for the...

To continue reading

Request your trial

VLEX uses login cookies to provide you with a better browsing experience. If you click on 'Accept' or continue browsing this site we consider that you accept our cookie policy. ACCEPT